Pan Flute is a well-known musical instrument. It is greatly used around the world. Also, it is an ancient and traditional instrument and is usually used in folk music compositions. It is created by attaching several pipes of different sizes in a row.
However, the pipes could be either of different sizes or are blocked at different lengths. When the player blows on top of the pipes, all of them produced a unique melody or tone. The instrument allows the musician to play a complete melody with its good use.
Pan Flute is created by using bamboo sticks, local reeds, as well as a giant cane. However, other materials such as wood, ivory, plastic, and metal are also used to create this ancient musical instrument.
Facts About Panpipes:
- In Europe, this got popularity in Italy for the first time.
- In Russia, one named Kuvikli is mainly considered as a woman’s tool. They are used for dance performances as well as in collaboration with singers in musical performances.
- Pan Flute was played traditionally in China. They were created in shape to look like the wings of Phoenix. They had strong similarities to Phoenix musically as well as decoratively.
- Different varieties of Pan Flute are well-known as Folk instruments.
Types of Pan Flute:
- Antara: Antara is a type. It was developed by some people in the Andes mountains. It is developed using 13 different bamboo pipes, which are a little curvy. All 13 pipes produce different musical notes. It was traditionally played by only males in the place of its origin. Even now, the instrument is greatly used in the Andes mountains, as well as it has gained popularity over other parts of the world too.
- Nai: This type originated in Romania during the mid of the1600s. It has a unique as well as beautiful design. Its curvy bamboo pipes produce different types of sounds that are greatly admired by music enthusiasts. It is created by using 22 bamboo pipes of different sizes producing multiple musical overtones.
- Siku: Siku is also known as Zampogna. It was introduced in Peru. However, the instrument earned great popularity amongst the people of Bolivia and the Andes mountains, and they started using it in their culture and traditional music. The instrument is designed in such a way that two people can simultaneously play this instrument.
- Paixiao: Piaxiao was introduced in Ancient China. It is an extremely classic as well as older invention that dates to around 6 Century BC. The instrument is created by using 16 bamboo pipes. They contain holes on the top of the different sized pipes at defined angles.
- Fenglv: These are eco-friendly pan flutes made up of 16 pipes. They are very little in size as well as are good for people who want to start learning to play Pan Flute. In general, they were designed for beginners only who want to climb up to the advanced level of producing melodies through pan flute.
It is made up of environment-Friendly and non-toxic resin material. Learning it is very easy as compared to other varieties of the pan flute.